Wine Braised Short Ribs
2 to 3 Pounds of Short Ribs
4 Cups Beef Stock
1 Medium Onion
2 Medium Carrots
3 Stocks of Celery
5 Cloves of Garlic
1 Medium Tomato (Puréed)
1 750 ml bottle of Red Wine
Baking and Spices:
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Tablespoon Flour
2 Bay Leaves
1 Sprig (or 1 Tablespoon) Rosemary
1 Sprig (or 1 Tablespoon) Parsley
3 Leaves (or 1 Tablespoon) Oregano
1 Sprig (or Tablespoon) Thyme
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1) Preheat Oven to 350°F and dice the Celery, Carrots, and Onion.
2) Place a Dutch oven on the burner and set the heat to just above medium.
3) Add oil and place short ribs in pot. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
4) Remove short ribs and drain off all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the Dutch oven.
5) Return Dutch oven to burner and add the oil back in.
6) Add in the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook until the onions are golden brown.
7) Add in tomato purée and flour. Stir until well mixed and a dark red. About 2 to 3 minutes.
8) Pour in the bottle of wine and spices. Stir till well combined then add in the short ribs.
9) Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a slow rolling boil.
10) Continue to boil until the liquid in the pot has reduced by half.
11) Add in beef stock and spices.
12) Remove the Dutch oven from the burner place lid on top and set I the oven for 2 and a half hours.
13) After 2 and a half hour remove Dutch oven from the oven. Plate short ribs. If you added in sprigs remove them from the sauce left in the pot also look for any large pieces of fat that has fallen off the meat and remove as well.
14) Pour sauce contents from Dutch oven into a blender and purée.
15) Pour sauce over short ribs and serve.